Lauren Buzzeo writes: "In compiling this list, I had to go beyond simple evaluation of numeric scores and pricing and also consider availability, buzz and balance. With so many selections currently available to the American beer consumer, it was important to showcase a wide range of styles produced in various countries and regions at all price points. From classic styles like American lagers and wheat beers to newer, more experimental styles such as American wild ales, this list demonstrates both the beauty and craftsmanship of a traditionally brewed beer as well as the excitement and cutting-edge adventure of the craft brewing scene today."
#1 - Captain Lawrence Rosso e Marrone
#2 - Unibroue Maudite
#3 - Orchard White
#4 - Avery The Maharaja
#5 - Southern Tier Imperial Pumking
#6 - Trappistes Rochefort 8
#7 - Eliot Ness Lager
#8 - The Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme
#9 - Nøgne-Ø-Jolly Pumpkin-Stone Special Holiday Ale
#10 - Russian River Beatification
#11 - La Moneuse Saison
#12 - The Lost Abbey Duck-Duck-Gooze
#13 - St. Bernardus Wit
#14 - Deschutes Jubelale
#15 - Stone Vertical Epic 09.09.09
#16 - Allagash White
#17 - Bam Bière Farmhouse Ale
#18 - Samuel Adams Boston Lager
#19 - Nostradamus
#20 - Sierra Nevada Summerfest
#21 - Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale
#22 - Left Hand Oktoberfest Märzen Lager
#23 - Dogfish Head Festina Pêche
#24 - Nuova Mattina
#25 - Victory Festbier
- New York, New York. Two of the top five beers come from the Empire State. Only one of the other top five even comes from America. How do you like that California and Oregon?
- This is great for craft beer. For years, beer has been looked down upon by the wine community, and this attention is nothing but good for the craft beer industry.
- A large number of these beers have very wine like characterstics. It did not surprise me very much that the #1 beer of 2009 according to Wine Enthusiast used wine grapes and was aged in grape barrells.
- Wow. Hats off to Wine Enthusiast. The scope of beers tasted must have been incredibly impressive. I wonder exactly how many beers were tasted to narrow it down to these 25.
- Interesting that Wine Enthusiast did not go by scores alone.