Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat



I have been waiting to taste 21st Amendement's Watermelon Wheat for a long time. Fruit beers are not my favorite style but I had heard nothing but raves about this beer and 21st's IPA is a great beer. Watermelon checks in at around 5% ABV and the can says "yeast inside, agitate before opening".

Watermelon Wheat poured a clear, golden yellow color with a frothy white head. The nose had plenty of wheat up front, with some hints of melon on the back end. The body is short, with low carbonation. The beer is yeasty up front with very light watermelon flavoring underneath. The finish had a lingering yeasty dryness and a light watermelony aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very interesting beer. The watermelon flavoring is there, but I might not have been able to identify the flavor if I was blind tasting the beer. The yeast is more prominent than the watermelon which seemed a bit syrupy. I thought this was a decent beer, but not nearly as good as their IPA.

1 comment:

Beantown Brews said...

I am with you on the fruit-beer front. I typically can't stand the, what is almost always an overpowering flavor to the beer. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat comes to mind...

I guess that is why I like 21st Amendment's Watermelon - the watermelon kind of took a back seat.